Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Matthew 5:1-13 The Beatitudes (those who hunger)

It's been slightly over a week since I continued my saga of the Beatitudes verses withing Matthew, so tonight I continue with verse 6:

"6 Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
for they will be filled."

I am pointed to Psalm 11:7 - For the righteous Lord loves justice. The virtuous will see His face.

This particular beatitude really hits home for me...because I fail it so often. So to help dissect this, a few questions come to mind. What does it mean to be righteous? What does it mean to hunger and thirst for it? And finally, How does one be filled with it?

I've found it hard to come to a good description of what righteousness actually is, so I think, who is it that would epitomize it? And the clearest answer is Christ. We was righteousness. He pleased God in every way while here on Earth and would perpetually stand up for what was right, what was just, and what was virtuous. He was in complete conformity with God's Law. So, since no one is Christ and we are all capable of sin, constantly...what does it mean for US to be righteous. It means that we are in constant thought about God's Law, the Lord's Word. That we are working towards acting as close to Christ as possible. It means that we seek a constant audience with God and that he is there to guide us through himself and the Holy Spirit. I also read something that I believe is an excellent deed. That when a righteous person sins, he finds it so hard to bear the weight of, in his heart, that he'd rather stay far from the sin, then to offend and disgrace his Lord. In addition to, should he sin (which he will, because we're all sinners), he finds himself in dire need to repent for what he did.

What does it mean to be hungry and thirsty for righteousness? Well, ya know that three meal a day thing? Yeah, this isn't exactly that, although, it does follow the same idea in a sense. Every day of your existence you're gonna get hungry and you're going to get thirsty...and these things need to be satisfied. You'll look for food, or something to drink or both to fulfill this craving. Well, your soul has the same needs...they need to be satisfied by the Lord. Now your stomach can be mislead by the type of foods you eat...if you just filled yourself with sweets and junk, your body will show it. Like your soul. Should you choose to not search for righteousness and instead indulge in the pleasures of this world, your soul will become ill. So crave it...crave righteousness...search for the good food of the Lord. It's satisfying...yum!

Finally, if you search for righteousness with your heart and your soul, you will find that God will fulfill you and guide you through the hard times. The Lord wants to fulfill you, he wants to give you his blessing and if you seek Him, you WILL find Him, just like the story says...

------------------------------------
Lord my God, I do crave you and I realize too, that I don't always...I ask you with ALL MY HEART to bless me and guide me and not only make me aware of when I'm not doing your work, but give me the strength to overcome sin. You are so good and deserving of so much praise and thanks! Please guide me as I walk to follow your Law and be more like Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment